top of page

Rickie Fowler and Other Golf Stars Set Sights on Leeds Investment

Three prominent golfing stars, Rickie Fowler, Justin Thomas, and Jordan Spieth, have expressed their interest in investing in Leeds United following the recent takeover of the club by 49ers Enterprises. The acquisition was finalized just under two weeks after Leeds United's relegation from the Premier League.

49ers Enterprises, an American investment fund associated with the NFL franchise San Francisco 49ers, already held a 44% stake in Leeds United and has now secured the remaining 56% from previous owner Andrea Radrizzani.

Against the backdrop of these significant developments, Fowler, Thomas, and Spieth, who are currently PGA Tour stars, have set their sights on becoming involved with the club. In an interview with Sky Sports prior to the US Open, Fowler responded to inquiries about their potential involvement with Leeds, stating, "Not yet technically. There's a group that's moving forward with being involved with Leeds. Myself, JT [Thomas], and Jordan [Spieth]. Potentially we'll be a part of it." Fowler expressed enthusiasm about the opportunities that lie ahead, remarking, "It's cool to have those opportunities. I know we're looking into it, and it would be fun if we get to be a part of it. If not, we'll continue to root for Leeds."

According to sources, the trio of golf stars possesses a collective net worth of nearly £175 million. Spieth, currently ranked world number 10, leads the group with a net worth of £95 million, while Thomas's net worth is estimated at £47 million, and Fowler's stands at approximately £31.5 million.

The ownership of Wrexham AFC, another football club, by Hollywood personalities Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney has served as an example of celebrity involvement in the sport. When asked if they would consider a similar endeavor with Leeds, Fowler responded, "That'd be great. Obviously, they got relegated, but to be able to go to a Premier League, Champions League, any of that [would be great]. I just feel like, obviously it's called football over there; we call it soccer here, but it's a massive sport. I feel like it's continuing to get bigger in the States, but I still don't have a true appreciation until actually being able to go and be there and feel that energy."

As Leeds United sets its sights on reclaiming its place in top-flight football, the potential involvement of these golf stars brings a new dimension to the club's future, capturing the attention of fans and sparking speculation about the potential impact of their investments.


bottom of page