top of page

Privatisation of Hundred Expected to Bring £500m to ECB Amid Global Interest

The privatisation of The Hundred is attracting substantial global attention, with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) expected to raise up to £500 million.

New York firm Raine Group and Deloitte have been officially appointed as lead financial advisors as the ECB begins the process of securing private investment. Among the eager suitors is Mumbai-based conglomerate Reliance, leading a wave of interest from the dynamic Indian market. Senior sources informed Telegraph Sport of widespread interest from "all quarters of sports investment," including potential investors from the US, Pakistan, and the UK.

The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) is anticipated to convene to discuss the plans, which promise to transform the financial landscape of domestic cricket. The proposed model involves the ECB transferring 51 per cent ownership of the eight teams to the host county—or the MCC in the case of Lord’s. The ECB will then sell the remaining 49 per cent to private investors, with host counties free to sell their shares as they see fit.

Proceeds from the sale of the 49 per cent will be allocated as follows: the first 10 per cent will go to the recreational game, with the remainder distributed among the counties. The first £275 million will be divided 19 ways, the next £150 million will be shared among the 11 non-host counties, and any funds exceeding £425 million will be split again among the 19 counties.

Andrew Umbers, co-founder of Oakwell Sports Advisory, expressed confidence in the venture's success on the Unofficial Partner podcast, predicting a cumulative value between £380 million and £500 million.

The Telegraph first reported on April 26 that Raine Group, the firm behind the sales of Manchester United and Chelsea, was being considered for the deal. The ECB has now confirmed that Raine and Deloitte will collaborate as financial advisors to secure private investment for The Hundred teams. Raine will lead the transaction process, including partner sourcing and term negotiations, while Deloitte will provide strategic advice.

Vikram Banerjee, the ECB’s director of business operations, will oversee the process. “We see this as an opportunity to elevate The Hundred to new heights, leveraging global interest to strengthen the entire domestic cricket structure,” Banerjee said. “Engaging new global strategic partners will help unlock The Hundred’s future potential, benefiting cricket for years to come.”

Banerjee emphasised that proceeds from the investment will directly support recreational and county cricket, crucial for nurturing talent and maintaining the sport’s grassroots. “We are pleased to have assembled an advisory team with the expertise to secure the best deals for cricket’s future,” he added.

While there is broad agreement within English cricket on the need for private investment in The Hundred, details regarding the distribution of capital and other key issues such as future expansion are yet to be finalised.


bottom of page